By Hou Akot Hou
The Division 3 commander of the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) in Northern Bahr el Ghazal state has warned residents of Aweil against travelling to Sudan amid escalating tension in Khartoum.
The fighting in Sudan is intensifying without sign of cessation despite international calls for truce to allow humanitarian corridors for support to the war victims.
Speaking to No.1 Citizen Daily Newspaper, Thursday via phone interview Gen. Akuei Ajou Akuei advised those who might be interested in travelling to Sudan not to attempt at the moment but wait until the situation improves in Khartoum.
“The fighting is still escalating. In case one plans to go for treatment or anything please wait for the matter to quell,” he cautioned.
Thousands of residents are fleeing from Sudan’s capital Khartoum where witnesses reported bodies in the streets and embassies. More than 270 civilians had been killed in battles between the army and paramilitaries by Thursday, with no end in sight, AFP reported.
However, there is still no recorded number of Sudanese refugees who are escaping the conflict entering South Sudan.
Gen. Akuei said they (army) are ready to welcome those who are escaping from the war zone through the border areas such as Warguet, Jaac and Majok-Yithiou border points.
“If people come to the border, we are ready as army and government to welcome them. Our people (should) not go to Sudan as it is still volatile,” he advised.
Gen. Akuei stated that the Northern Bahr el Ghazal’s Division 3 has outposts in the borders such as War-ayen garrison, Warguet, they are ready to accept any military personnel including civilians running away from Khartoum and other hotspots areas in Sudan.
The violence erupted on Saturday in Khartoum between forces of the two generals who seized power in a 2021 coup: army Chief Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and his deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo who commands the rapid support forces (RSF).
It followed a bitter dispute between them over the planned integration of the RSF into the regular army — a key condition for a final deal aimed at restoring Sudan’s democratic transition.
The defence minister in Chad, which borders Sudan’s Darfur region, was quoted by APF as saying around 320 Sudanese soldiers had fled over the border in fear of the RSF, which was created in 2013 by long-time autocrat Omar al-Bashir.
Meanwhile on Tuesday the acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, Deng Dau Deng has urged South Sudanese citizens in Khartoum to take safety measures by keeping indoors in order to mitigate exposure to gun fire.
Minister Deng told No.1 Citizen Daily Newspaper Tuesday, that the situation in Sudan was still difficult with no in and out flights as the Sudanese airspace is closed due to the armed conflicts taking toll in Khartoum including other cities.
“First and foremost, the situation now is so complex and so quiet. If you look at it, you know there is no flight that can go to Sudan in and out because the airport is closed,” he said.
“So I advise our citizens through our embassy that all South Sudanese like the rest of the nationals in Khartoum should stay indoors and stop moving so that they cannot get into crossfire,” Deng added.