By William Madouk
The First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar, has bitterly rubbished an allegation that he supplied the leader of the Rapid Support Forces, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, with armed men to fight his rivalry in Khartoum.
This came after Mr. Talib Peter, the office director for presidential advisor on national security affairs, Tut Gatluak, alleged that Machar had been supplying troops from the Nuer community in Unity State to General Hamadan Daglo.
In a rebuttal, the acting press secretary in the office of Machar, Puok Both Baluang, refuted the allegation and referred to it as ‘baseless, malicious, and aimed at tarnishing his boss’s reputation.
“We denounce, in every sense of the word, this vile and tendentious accusation that aims to distort the image of Dr. Riek Machar Teny and attempt to influence his strong relations with the Sudanese political and military components and the brotherly Sudanese people,” said Baluang.
“While we condemn these arbitrary and contradictory allegations, we assure everyone that Dr. Riek Machar did not provide any form of support to any of the parties to the conflict in sisterly Sudan,” he continued.
But Baluang added that Machar stands at the same distance from everyone in the quest to achieve peace and stability in Sudan.
He reaffirmed Machar’s unwavering commitment to seeking peace and stability in the region, adding that such allegations would not prevent Machar from engaging with Sudanese sides for peace.
“Such a claim will not deter Dr. Machar from continuing to communicate with all Sudanese parties until peace is achieved and security, complete stability, and prosperity prevail in neighboring Sudan, today before tomorrow,” Baluang nodded.
Machar also appealed to all Sudanese parties to deal positively with the Jeddah Platform, emphasizing that South Sudan and other regional initiatives were aimed at resolving the crisis in Sudan.
Lately, the government of Sudan has asked the UN Security Council (UNSC) to terminate the UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS) immediately.
In a leaked letter dated November 16, Sudanese Permanent Representative to the UN, Al-Harith Idriss al-Harith, said that he had received instructions from his Foreign Minister Ali al-Sadiq to halt mission activities.
The relationship between the Sudanese government and the UN has been tense since a war erupted in the country on April 15.
Sudan has been reeling after an armed conflict between the army and Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces erupted over control of the country.
Since then, at least 9,500 people have died, and more than 5.3 million have been displaced, according to the United Nations.